Thursday, August 27, 2015

Redefining Mental Health in a Holistic Measure

So you're sick. You go to the doctor because you just feel like you have the blues. As is protocol, normal, widely accepted, and not questioned, your doctor may hand you some sort of anti psychotic med. Maybe a low dose of Prozac. Maybe some Klonopin. Maybe a Hydroxyzine even. As they are supposed to, the doctors almost always encourage you to go see a therapist. You will often leave with a referral to see one. It's the right thing to do, and doctor's do it.

But you don't ever go. You say you're too busy, you go once and didn't gain anything, the list goes on. But guys, we have a mental health epidemic in this country that is so big our psychiatrists can't deal with it anymore; 70% of antidepressants are given by the family doctor. Even hospitals give them. There's a ton to choose from, prices vary, and you see commercials on them all the time. Why not get that "pick me upper" huh!

The way antidepressants work is still disputed. Just within this last decade it was medically agreed that antidepressants like SSRI's worked by redistributing serotonin in a brain that had a deficiency. It didn't take long for scans to quickly prove that those depressed generally do not have a serotonin deficiency.

The med still works, so we can only guess the buildup of more serotonin is a factor into dealing with depression. Mind you, there are all kinds of antidepressants that work in atypical ways, SSRI's are just one group.

But could we naturally be happier? YES, AND IT'S NOT HARD!

  • Omega 3 - Several mega-analyses have proven that Omega 3, at 3 grams a day, will reduce anxiety by 40% in most of the population within a manner of 6 weeks. We need Omega 3. It's something our body doesn't get enough of, it's heart healthy, and it is much needed in our evolved bodies. If it can curb anxiety in most people by a whopping 40%, this is significant. 
  • Exercise - Okay, so most of us don't like to. We would rather sit around and watch tv. (Don't exceed television or facebook by the way; it increases depression.) But MRI scans on someone who has walked just 30 minutes have shown an incredible shift in actions of many parts of the brain, and in these shifts we see an increase in dopamine, endorphins, and other healthy brain functioning. Ridding, M et al. explains that when exercising, your brains "plasticity" improves almost instantly. In laymans terms, this equates to higher ability to function, better cognitive memory, modifying strength, and increasing chemical activity in your brain linked to happiness and satisfaction.
    • We live in a society where obesity is an issue of people's body image. While we need to re-conceptualize what it means to be beautiful so as not to objectify anyone, walking and being active will open the reward system for the one unsatisfied with their beautiful bodies, and by doing so, naturally depression will decrease. 
  • Vitamins/Supplements in general - Our diets lack a lot of crucial supplements that are directly related to our happiness. Vitamins play a key role, as do supplements. Go find out what does what, and you'd be surprised. Chocolate and wine are on the list of foods that can sharpen your mood!
  • Not being over-excessive and fast-paced - I ask my foreign friends what the first thing they think of the US is. The first answer is always either "it's new" or "it's conservative" but I hear "it's way too fast paced" a lot too. Our culture has instilled in us an acceptance of procrastination to the extent that we wake up almost late everyday thanks to snooze, that we miss that bus or run to it every time, stressing us out. We run to work. To the store. To school. We need to slow our lives down. How many of you go to bed with your mind just racing 100mph? Ever wonder why? You've probably been too busy throughout the day catering to work, your kids, getting caught up in a show, that you don't have time to just sit and rationally think. You procrastinate to where it affects you financially, and then it all goes downhill.
  • Money isn't everything - I am not suitable to be a Therapist at the moment but one day I will. And you know what my internships have taught me? That it's not making $20 an hour that makes me day bright, it's helping others who need it most. 
    • Make a difference wherever you can - Go volunteer at the community gardens. Volunteer at tree planting ceremonies, help build a home, help feed the poor; not only do you see how lucky of a person you are, but you get an internal rewarding feeling. I remember pre-disability me helping build a house with Habitat for Humanity. Little did I know the guy next to me was helping build his own home. It was his future home. He thanked us and said "I can finally call somewhere home and I never had that opportunity and it's because of you guys." Do you know how great that feels? You grow a bond with that person and feel self-gratification.
  • Sleep is good; but you may be getting more than you should - The data is conflicting but essentially 7 hours of sleep is suffice for a typical adult. Those who tend to sleep in more generally have higher levels of depression and anxiety. Now granted, I would say half the population doesn't get enough. Set a schedule! Get your recommended sleep but try not to exceed or fall back because it can affect your day
    • Naps are such a luxury - You get home from work. Yes, you have to feed the pets, take off those uncomfortable shoes, check the mail, check up on things. But then grab a healthy snack, and take yourself a nap. It is imperative to always get a minimum of 45 minutes of sleep. If you don't get 45 minutes, which an hour is a safer demeanor to go by, you don't complete a REM cycle making you tired. Make sure to get a REM Cycle of sleep!
  • Who said pets aren't kids? - One unique feature of the human mind is the urge to feel wanted and/or needed. You see so many parents just laughing with their children on SnapChat on the weekend and you're at home bored. You feel as if you aren't needed. Maybe. If so, get yourself a pet. I have two cats, one of them literally prescribed by a doctor for pet therapy, and they are my pride and joy. I love my cats. I feel needed, but also appreciated, and I make them happy. Don't live forever lonely. Get yourself a cat or dog. They make your lonely rainy nights so much more fulfilling. 
  • Embrace spirituality... Buddhism doesn't have to be a religion - Philosophy. It's a beautiful thing. Once I heard a Christian friend tell a Buddhist that she was going to hell. My Buddhist friend is actually a Christian herself. She just was inspired by the Buddha and his humility in teachings and practiced, meditated, pondered. You can be spiritual and not religious. To me, spirituality is important because it's a link into our inner-selves, a gateway that we need to discover. Go to a Hindu Temple and go meditate at a Buddhist shrine, why not! 
  • Let the worries go- Prioritize: We homo sapiens get way too caught up in our emotions. We've got to let our worries go sometimes. You lost your job last week? Sorry to hear but you can't change it. You have to look to the future because dwelling on the past isn't going to help. You know why you were fired. You learned. That's enough! Almost all worry comes from past events predicted to occur again or events predicted to turn out wrong. This is what anxiety is. But none of us is perfect. I've snapped at my beloved mother before. I even told my grandma I would never talk to her again once. This is terrible. But I didn't mean it and I know it. I apologized and learned that I've got to not just allow them to forgive me, I must forgive myself. If you don't forgive yourself, you will face a life full of paranoia and fear. We all mess up. We meed to take responsibility, ponder on how we could have handled differently, apologize, and move on. If we have improved ourselves long-term by messing up, consider that a blessing. 
    • Prioritize - I know, the world comes at us 1000000000 mph. Make a list of things you need to do and get them done. If you say you will clean on Sunday but you know that snooze button will be pressed, set your alarm earlier. Clean. Finish things you intended to, even cleaning. It's rewarding.
  • TV... Watch it with the family... Don't grow obsessed! Studies indicate the average American watches 23 hours of television a week. I watch less than an hour. I think I need more, but no one needs 23 hours. It is great to choose two or three shows you can watch like Modern Family or The Office to brighten your night one night. But don't flip through the channels all day everyday wanting to pluck your eyes out because you're bored. Get up. Walk. Dance. Garden. Read a book. But try not to be excessive on television. Same with internet. Anything done that is not in moderation is not done right and will wreak bad brownie points for your mind! 
  • Be spontaneous - You wake up on Saturday at 11am. Your friends are too caught up with their own lives. Okay, well pay your bills, then go to the mall. Get yourself a healthy yet affordable brunch, and buy that dress or that cologne you've wanted. Go hiking and go to Mt. Bonnell (if you live in Austin you know what I'm talking about!) Just don't be afraid to do things by yourself. You're not lonely if you've got yourself.
  • Don't let your life revolve around worries about health - This is a personal item. I have PTSD, many depression issues, anxiety issues, and a terrible back. It has cause me to not have that opportunity to go hiking. I can't go zip-lining when I want, or go on a water slide. But make the best of what you have. I enjoy blogging and ranting. I doubt but a few will read this. But this is my way of compensating for the dream job I've been wanting but can't because my PTSD and back. That's okay. I've got my cats. I've got this blog. I've got friends. I've got God. :) 

Did I really teach you how to redefine mental health? Haha no, I got off topic. But explore yourself from within. Friends are necessary. But you've got to meditate and reflect on your own life. Diet and exercise are huge indicators of mental health. If you feel depressed, don't just tell the doctor. Ask for some blood work to see if you have thyroid issues, etc. Increase your self-worth by helping your community. Increase your love by having a pet. Find a hobby. Be random. I paint abstract art and it was a random thing. I saw some acrylics, and decided I'd try. I love it. Find that hobby. Don't take life too seriously but prioritize. And let's hope our depression and anxiety eradicates as we eradicate habits that may be detrimental to your well being.


I may not know you, but I love you. :) Smile and cherish life, because you're lucky to have a computer to read this, technology, etc. Remember that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment